Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Cold Winter’s Day Success Story


After last month’s half marathon I set a goal to run my fastest 5k at this year’s Cold Winter’s Day 5k in Columbia, SC.  I love setting stretch goals and after last year’s PR I knew it would be tough.  I am happy to tell you I met my goal and set a new personal best record.

My past month’s goals and training turned into much more than I ever expected.  I was able to share my love of the sport of running with my family.  We have participated in several 5k road races together over the past couple of years, but this one was different.  My “I’m not-a-runner” wife, Katie, has been training hard and was actually looking forward to this race as much as me.  Of course I was pleased when I reached my goal and set a new record, but I was even more pleased when Katie shaved 3:00 minutes off her previous best time.  It was great to see her actually enjoy the event and reach her own personal goals.  She might even consider calling herself a "runner" soon.

In addition to my wife’s success, I got to celebrate my middle son’s achievement of 2nd place in his 10 & under age group, my youngest son’s exceptional finish and I was able to share the podium with my neighbor as we took 2nd and 3rd in our age group.  I am a proud husband, dad and neighbor!
  
Take action, share your passion, provide support, and create positive change!


No comments:

Post a Comment